The Benefits of 3D Laser Scanning for SurveyorsAfgen Personnel
The surveying industry is seeing huge advancements within the area of 3D laser scanning. Ultimately, these advancements are providing surveyors with more data than ever before. It is also increasing the accuracy of the data, as well as the speed with which this data is being captured and jobs are being completed.
In this article, we will discuss the variety of benefits of 3D laser scanning for surveyors and why this is definitely a technology you should be investing in.
What Are 3D Scanners Used for Surveying?
These scanners make use of 3D scanning technology; however, they have been designed and modified by surveyors for the surveying industry. This ensures that they have been fitted with all of the technology and functionality a surveyor will need to perform their job effectively. There are three main functions that 3D scanners perform within the survey industry.
- Mapping: A key aspect of surveying is having access to maps and performing mapping. It is important to be as accurate as possible when mapping an area, which is made easier with the use of 3D scanning equipment.
- Cavity Monitoring: When performing surveys in the mining sector, it is important to make safety one’s first priority. 3D scanning technology has made it possible for surveyors to assess the safety of a cavity before entering these dangerous areas.
- Contact-Free Survey Data: Being able to perform contact-free surveys has made surveying easier and faster to perform. With these 3D scanners, it is possible to derive accurate data of an area over a long distance.
How They Benefit Surveyors
With functionalities such as contact-free surveying, mapping, and cavity monitoring, a multitude of benefits have arisen that make investing in a 3D survey scanner worthwhile.
- Efficiency: Measurement and data capturing that once took a good amount of time to collect, can now be gathered in a matter of seconds. This allows surveyors to complete deadlines on time-sensitive projects when expected and maintain a very high level of accuracy while doing so.
- Safety: Most survey sites are dangerous in some way. Whether it be the site itself, or the journey to the site. 3D scanning technology allows surveyors to perform their jobs with more safety than ever before, as they can do it from a distance.
- Accuracy and Detail: 3D survey scanners provide surveyors with superior data that is more accurate than ever before. Small details that would have been missed previously are now noticed. This has also decreased risk factors associated with data omission.
- Cost Efficient: As surveyors can now perform their job with more efficiency and accuracy, a larger number of jobs can be completed by one surveyor. Therefore, a business will be able to take on more work without having to hire more employees.
Laser Scanner Survey Equipment Price
Afgen stocks and sells a variety of 3D laser scanning systems that have each been designed specifically for the surveying industry. Each has its own features and specialisations, depending on one’s requirements on site. A 3D scanning system does require a higher initial investment. However, the long-term financial gain far outweighs the initial cost.
Contact Afgen to find out more about which 3D scanning system will suit your needs best!