Survey Drones: The Solution to Tough TerrainAfgen Personnel
Surveying is an industry that is constantly benefiting from new technological advancements. These advancements are making surveying easier, providing a higher level of accuracy, and allowing surveyors to perform their work more efficiently. One of these new technologies is survey drones.
In this article, we will discuss the benefits of survey drones as well as which drones are best suited to surveying.
The Benefits of Drone Survey Equipment
There are a variety of benefits that drones bring to the surveying industry. Some of the most notable benefits include:
- Increased Access: Survey drones allow surveyors to go where they could not previously. Sites that were once challenging to reach due to difficult terrain can now be surveyed from a distance due to remote-controlled drones. Survey drones are equipped with everything you would need to perform a comprehensive survey, including cameras, surveying instruments, and a host of other related devices needed to perform the job.
- Reduced Risk: Trying to traverse the challenging terrain that such sites are located at can be dangerous. Whether it be treacherous roads, difficult climbing terrain, or other hazardous circumstances, surveyors used to stand the chance of getting seriously hurt. Survey drones have changed this and are now allowing surveyors to perform their surveys without putting themselves at risk.
- Time Efficiency: Traditionally, one would have to travel all the way to the survey site, set up equipment, perform the survey, pack up, and then travel back. This used to take a lot of time; however, survey drones cut down on this wasted time, allowing surveyors to perform their work more efficiently and with the same amount of accuracy.
What is the Best Drone for Land Surveying?
The best survey drone depends entirely on what the surveyors’ needs and requirements are. Therefore, there are different survey drones that can be used for different purposes. Afgen stocks a variety of survey drones that all provide unique benefits. These drones consist of:
- DJI Matrice M30: This robust, yet lightweight drone fairs well in extreme climates where the elements and temperatures might ordinarily pose a problem. It also comes with all of the bells and whistles such as advanced cameras, high-flying capabilities, gas detectors, spotlights, and more.
- DJI MAVIC 2 Enterprise Advanced: This drone is able to deliver thermal and visual imagery. It is also extremely compact and allows surveyors to make quick decisions based on accurate information.
- DJI Zenmuse L1 Lidar Sensor: This drone sensor provides its user with lidar and RGB solutions required for aerial surveying. It also provides 3D data in real-time, even allowing one to view reconstructed models of hard-to-see sites. Therefore these sensors are perfect for concealed areas, such as forests.
- DJI Zenmuse P1: This sensor provides its user with full-frame photogrammetry. Therefore, it is extremely accurate and efficient. The data captured by this sensor can be viewed immediately after it has returned from a flight.
Visit the Afgen website to view and find further information on the details of each survey drone.