How to Care for Your Dumpy LevelAfgen Personnel
Surveying equipment tends to be fairly fragile, so there are ways to care for it to ensure that it lasts longer. A dumpy level is no different.
Used to verify points across a horizontal plane, a dumpy level is an intricate surveying tool that requires some TLC. Here are some handy tips for looking after your dumpy level.
- Keep all your equipment clean – on-site it’s easy for dust, mud and sand to invade your equipment. Keep the equipment bags and covers clean by closing them even when they are empty to avoid scratches. Dampen your dumpy level microfibre cloth and gently wipe off each section before you put it away.
- Keep your equipment dry. Moisture can blur the lens from the inside and cause other damage. If it does get slightly wet, make sure it’s completely dry before putting it into its container.
- When your dumpy levelling is done, be sure to put it back safely into its container to avoid someone messing with it, bumping it over or stealing it.
- The dumpy level should be placed in the correct position in the box to ensure that it doesn’t rattle around or incur damage. Make sure that the container is shut tightly so it can’t fall out accidently while being carried.
- If your dumpy level isn’t performing well, or if you fear that it might be old, take it to a surveying-equipment expert for calibration or repair.
- Be sure to take good care of the tripod that the dumpy level sits on. If there is even one dent in the legs, it might be unsteady and unstable, or possibly not open at all.
- Make sure that the tripod the dumpy level is on is steady. If it falls, it can very likely cause damage inside the level, rendering it useless or in need of cost-heavy repairs.
- Keep your equipment away from open flames and high power-cables to avoid possible damage.
Dumpy levels are easy to use and can be adjusted to suit any type of ground. To find dumpy levels for sale in South Africa, visit our product section or contact us directly.